Driving Lessons In Cape Town: Questions I’ve Found Answers To

Driving school in Cape Town

#Q01: Are traffic officials excused with regards to obeying road signs and speed limits?

A: Some officials are excused from obeying speed limits and road signs.

More on this. In the case of a traffic officer or person who is appointed and authorised to drive a fire-fighting vehicle, a fire-fighting response vehicle, a rescue vehicle, an emergency medical response vehicle or an ambulance while performing his or her duties may be excused from obeying speed limits and road signs.

PRO Tip: If you need driving lessons in Cape Town check out drivingschoolnearme make sure you know what you need! Or if you require driving lessons make sure you take at least 10 or 20 lessons.

#Q02: Are you allowed to use a cell phone while driving and are traffic officials excused?

A: No. Using a cell phone while driving is illegal, including traffic officials.

More on this. No driver, including road officials, are permitted to use any hand-held communication devices while driving. These devices include cell phones, microphones or any other means of communication. Using a device that is in no way being held in your hands or with any other part of your body is allowed.

#Q03: Is it legal for a learner driver to drive on the N1 and N2?

A: Yes, a learner driver is permitted to drive on any public road.

More on this. If a person has a learning permit he or she can drive on any public road; considering the traffic regulation that he or she is accompanied by a person in the front passenger seat who holds a legal driving licence, similar to the type of vehicle they are driving in.

#Q04: How can I upgrade my driving licence code?

A: You will first have to do a learner’s permit test before completing the driver’s licence test designed for that code group.

More on this. If you have a Code A1 for a motorcycle but need a Code A, you can only upgrade by undertaking both your learner’s and driver’s licence tests again; this applies for all K53 codes. For more info on K53 Motorcycle tests.

#Q05: Are driving lessons compulsory for the practical driving test?

A: No, it is not a legal requirement to enrol in a driving school to obtain your driver’s licence.

More on this. It is not yet required by The National Road Traffic Act of South Africa to first take driving lessons before you can make an appointment for, or pass your driver’s licence. However, accepting assistance before going for your driver’s licence will give you an advantage on passing the test. Learn more about advanced driving lessons.

#Q06: For what does GVM stand?

A: GVM means Gross Vehicle Mass.

More on this. The GVM of a vehicle refers to the maximum mass including the load it’s carrying. Another frequently used term is the GCM, Gross Combination Mass. A vehicle’s GCM refers to the maximum mass of a combination of vehicles. It includes both a trailer and possible load. For more relevant k53 terminology.

Learn from Them


It is your choice to be a Grandpa Wizen. Don’t let being uninformed get in your way of obtaining your driver’s licence. Know how to upgrade the code of your licence; understand the traffic regulations; and differentiate between what is legally required and not. You can distinguish between passing your licence, and passing your licence safe and informed!

Make sure you check out our article ’10 Tips for the Best Car Insurance‘.