Meet Private Chef and Curator of Confectionery: Sarah Alexander
Today’s post is one that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time – it’s an interview with my favourite private chef – Sarah Alexander. Starting your own business is no small undertaking and Sarah, who I’ve known for over 15 years, is making a success of it. Coming from a small town in Natal and taking on Cape Town’s foodie scene is not easy – I must say, I’m impressed!
We chatted to Sarah to ask her a few questions, tried to get her to reveal some of her secrets and convinced her to do a fabulous giveaway that we know everyone will love!
So, who are you Sarah?
My name is Sarah Alexander, owner and founder of The Secret Ingredient.
I am a Silwood graduate with a post-graduate diploma in enterprise management.
The Secret Ingredient represents a group of passionate people, situated in the City Bowl of Cape Town, that specialise in creating personalised cakes, desserts and wedding favours. Our secret lies in our ability to cater to the individual requirements of each of our clients while always using only the best ingredients.
We are determined to create the sweet delights of your dreams, and we do not limit ourselves by shapes, sizes, designs or characters. We are constantly striving to increase our repertoire by being adventurous, innovative and creative. In addition, your desserts or cakes will be delivered to you anywhere in Cape Town.
The Private cheffing part of my company is designed to offer the best food and service. You and your guests won’t need to worry about a thing. We will make sure your fridge is fully stocked and you have absolutely everything you need to make you feel right at home.
What is your favourite part of your day?
The favourite part of my day has to be first thing in the morning as just before the sun comes up. I find it to be the calmest part of the day.
What favourite projects have you been working on recently?
Recently I have been working on making people out of icing…. Its been really challenging but a great deal of fun.
What fun projects do you have coming up?
In the next couple of weeks I will be focusing a lot of my time to recipe testing. This is what I like to use the quiet time (winter) for. All recipes that I come across and haven’t had time to make find their way onto the table for a critique by my boyfriend.
What do you do when you’re not working?
When I am not working / baking I am more than likely doing some form of exercise. I enjoy being fit and believe in balancing my work and Sas (that’s me) time.
*Sarah’s being modest – in addition to triathlons and yearly Argus cycles – while we were still at school she cycled from Pietermaritzburg to Cape Town…
And lastly, what is the Secret Ingredient?
Some one very special once said to me “cook with love” and that is what I do everyday. In each and every cake, cupcake pastry, you will find love. That is my secret ingredient.
Get in Contact with Sarah:
Facebook: The Secret Ingredient
Competition Time on Cape Town Insider!
Sarah is giving away a dozen cupcakes of her most delicious cupcakes to one lucky entrant, enter below!
To enter the competition:
2) “Win with @SecretSweets on @CapeTownInsider – a dozen cupcakes delivered to you! Enter here: https://goo.gl/qK0IG”
3) Tell us, in the comments below, why you NEED these cupcakes!
Note: Delivery applies to central Cape Town (CBD and Southern Suburbs)
Competition Closes on Friday 27/07
Some Interesting Articles We Recently Came Across:
- Open Education by the Numbers « New Learning Resources, a … – 50% of faculty at the University of Michigan have never heard of OCW, compared to 20% of faculty at University of Capetown; 46% of faculty at University of Michigan agree or strongly agree that they would use OCW, …
- A little Chile can go a long way – Guest blog from EOD teacher … – The TEFL Insider Trustworthy tips, tales, and advice from Bridge’s experienced staff. …. I was placed in Cauquenes, a small town in Maule, and absorbed the realities of Chile. Look: the sun was rising over the Andes as I flew …
- US. South Africa. Cape Town. November 17. – The USA 10 Kit – US. South Africa. Cape Town. November 17. There’s really not much more to say, is there? After the jump, a behind the scenes video from the 2009 Nelson Mandela Challenge, courtesy of US Soccer.
- African Adventures Await « Iowa Insider – Imagine being at the tip of Africa, where majestic mountains stand guard over unspoiled beaches, and a unique penguin colony frolics not far from cosmopolitan Cape Town. Take a cable car ride to the summit of Table …
- Let’s go fly a kite! | WakaWomen – Cape Town International Kite Festival – 22 & 23 October 2011. ‘One Sky One World – Mental Health for All’ is the theme for the seventeenth Cape Town International Kite Festival, which is happening on 22 and 23 October …
Have a look at more Cape Town lifetsyle.